Private equity, LP perspectives, GP narratives, founder stories, country and sector focus tracks, keynote sessions and fireside chats.
Limited Partner perspectives: In two-panel tracks, we intend to explore the changing role of LPs and the consequent changes in the LP-GP dynamics.
Session 1 - Are LPs increasingly entering the GP arena?
With LPs stepping up their game with direct investments, co-investments and platform structures in Asia, the gaps between investors and GPs are narrowing to an extent. How is this playing out in the Asian markets?
- Sunil Mishra, Partner, Adams Street Partners
- Ralph Keitel, Regional Lead for PE funds in East Asia and Pacific, IFC (World Bank)
- Iesan Tsai, Head of Asia, Hermes GPE
- Saifulbahri Hassan, Senior Vice President, Private Equity, KWAP
Session 2 - The evolving LP-GP relationship dynamics as investment paradigms shift
This panel will explore some of the core, perceptible changes in the way LPs and GPs engage, given the changing context.
- Low Han Seng, CEO, UOBAIM
- Dave Richards, Co-Founder & Managing Partner, Capria Ventures
- Wai San, Managing Director, Novo Tellus Capital Partners
- Ellen Li, Managing Director, Head of Asia, Investor Development Group, Actis
Session 3 - Fireside Chat: Creating superior returns in Southeast Asia
with Creador Founder and CEO, Brahmal Vasudevan
In conversation with Ka Kay Lum (Writer, PE & VC, DealstreetAsia)
Session 4 - Fireside Chat: Perspectives on deal-making, fundraising, building & exiting businesses in India
With Sameer Sain, Co-founder and CEO, Everstone Group
In conversation with Joji Thomas Philip (Founder and Editor-in-Chief, DealstreetAsia)
Session 5 - Special situations investing in Asia – Is the time right for this opportunistic play?
Special situations – covering a broad spectrum of play from M&A, public stocks, direct lending, stressed assets, distressed situations, refinancing, restructuring – is attracting a lot of interest in Asia. How does the risk-return profile work for this kind of investing?
- Benjamin Crilly, Director, Borelli Walsh
- Joji Thomas Philip, Editor-in-Chief, DealstreetAsia, (Moderator)
Session 6 - Keynote Presentation: Southeast Asia needs growth capital firepower to build unicorns & drive mega listings - by Nick Nash, Co-founder & Managing Partner, Asia Partners
Session 7 - PEs enter VC territory to capture early deals in SE Asia
Southeast Asia’s growth story, fuelled by a growing middle class and a vibrant internet economy, has lured private equity investors. However, the region’s nascent startup ecosystem calls for a tweak to their investment strategy and the investors are not shying away from accommodating by cutting smaller checks. How will this strategy play out?
- Jeffrey Perlman, Managing Director & Head of Southeast Asia, Warburg Pincus
- Tak Wai Chung, Partner, Head of Southeast Asia, EQT Partners
- Bert Kwan, Managing Director, Northstar Group
- Nigel Lee, Operating Partner, Apis Partners
- Nick Nash, Co-founder & Managing Partner, Asia Partners (Moderator)
Session 8 - Keynote Chat: Executing the SuperApp strategy in Southeast Asia
with Tan Hooi Ling, Co-Founder, Grab
In conversation with Henny Sender (Chief Correspondent, International Finance, Financial Times)
Session 9 - The GP Narrative: Flush with funds, are fund managers now facing the problem of plenty?
2018 saw record fundraising by Asia-focused vehicles. How are fund managers looking to deploy dry powder and keep the money from sitting idle?
- Cyrus Driver, Managing Director & Head of Private Equity in Asia, Partners Group
- Ashish Saboo Managing Director and Head of Jakarta, General Atlantic
- Syed Yasir Arafat Syed Abd Kadir, CEO, Ekuiti Nasional Bhd (Ekuinas)
- Tai Lin, Managing Director, Proterra Investment Partners
Session 10 - Closing keynote: Creating global consumer brands from Asia - the next opportunity for Private Equity - by Ravi Thakran, Chairman & Managing Partner, L Catterton Asia; Group President, LVMH South and South East Asia and Australia/NZ
Venture capital investment outlook & trends, fireside chats with unicorns, frontier markets, and future growth sectors
Session 1 – Founders’ perspective: Handling transition, scale, growth and investors expectations after raising large funding rounds
A panel of prominent founders who have raised large-ticket rounds. They will talk about the journey so far, how they broke that barrier and also the road ahead from now.
- Paul Srivorakul, Group CEO, aCommerce
- Shashank Dixit, CEO, Deskera
- Roshni Mahtani, Founder & CEO, Tickled Media
- Aaron Tan, Co-Founder & CEO, Carro
Session 2 - Investing into future unicorns and tapping growth drivers of tomorrow
In this panel, we move beyond today’s unicorn-spawning sectors such as consumer internet plays and fintech. We try to look at some sectors that might already be on the threshold of becoming the ‘next big thing.’
- Steve Leonard, Founding CEO, SGInnovate (Moderator)
- Edith Yeung, Partner, Proof of Capital
- Xiang Qian Lin, Group President & CEO, Esco Group; Managing Partner, Esco Ventures
- Jeremy Tan, Co-founder & GP, Tin Men Capital
- Donald E. Lacey Jr., Managing Director & Chief Operating Officer, Ping An Global Voyager Fund
Session 3 - Asia's Emerging Markets – Is it worth the wait?
The IndoChina region – covering Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Thailand – as well as other emerging markets like Pakistan, Bangladesh and Philippines have slowly emerged as a serious contender for venture and private equity capital, impact investment and cross-border deals thanks to the opening up of the economies coupled with suitable demographics and steady macro indicators. Can these markets be Asia's next rising stars as they attempt to go digital, and talent that has left to work overseas returns?
- Hussain Elius, CEO & Co-Founder, Pathao
- Muneeb Maayr, CEO, Bykea
- Minette B. Navarrete, President, Kickstart Ventures
- Thomas Tsao, Founding Partner, Managing Partner, Gobi Partners
- Tuan Pham, Founder & CEO, Topica Edtech Group
Session 4 – The making of Indonesia’s top unicorns and the road ahead
Fireside chat with the region's prominent unicorns and tracing their journey.
- Patrick Cao, President, Tokopedia
- Henry Hendrawan, President, Traveloka Group
- Willson Cuaca, Co-founder & Managing Partner, East Ventures (Moderator)
- Jason Thompson, CEO, OVO
Session 5 – Corporate Venture Capital is here to stay in Asia
Asian companies have attracted record investments from global corporate venture capital firms in 2018. What is the region's draw?
- Aireen Omar, Deputy Group CEO, Digital Transformation & Corporate Services, AirAsia
- Sae Min Ahn, Managing Partner, Rakuten Ventures
- Paul Ark, Managing Director, Corporate Venture Capital, Digital Ventures
- Chris Yeo, Head, Grab Ventures
- Andrey Terebenin, Managing Partner, Sistema Asia Capital (India)
Session 6 - Fireside Chat: 2 billion reasons why India & SE Asia are the next big thing for investors
with Hans Tung, Managing Partner, GGV Capital
In conversation with Ken Koyanagi (Editor-at-large, Nikkei Asian Review)
Session 7 - Is Chinese money shifting direction to invest closer to home
Chinese venture capital firms and top internet companies (Baidu, Alibaba, Tencent) are increasingly looking closer to their geography to deploy growth capital and create potential new unicorns.
- Rebekah Woo, Managing Director, Fosun
- Helen Wong, Partner, Qiming Venture Partners
- Benny Chen, Managing Partner, BAce Capital
- Terrance Lok, Co-Founder & Partner, ZWC Ventures
Session 8- VC learnings from investing in SE Asia: What will they do differently with their next vehicles?
This panel will cover experiences of fund managers who are on to their second or third vehicles, their investment outlook, exit performance and shift in strategies for their new vehicles.
- Michael Lints, Partner, Golden Gate Ventures
- Eddy Chan, Founding Partner, Intudo Ventures
- Deepak Shahdadpuri, Managing Director, DSG Consumer Partners
- Nikhil Kapur, Partner, Strive
- Kabir Narang, Partner & Co-Head Asia, B Capital
- Sarah Chen, Chief Strategy Officer, Bloxed; Founding Partner, The Billion Dollar Fund for Women (Moderator)
Closing Fireside Chat: Building HK's first unicorn & succeeding in China
With Steven Lam, Co-founder and CEO, GoGoVan
In conversation with Kristie Neo (Senior Writer, DealstreetAsia)